Baby Colic osteopathy treatment London,
Osteopath for baby with digestive disorders in London
How to treat baby colic in London with our Osteopath specialised in babies?
Osteopathy helps with all baby digestive disorders and can also relieve colic in babies effectively. Our London osteopath specialises in baby treatment and will examine your baby, in order to find which tension in their system is causing discomfort and release it. Your baby will feel relief quickly and will stop crying. This treatment has proven to have great results over the years.
If you need more information about our baby colic treatment or want to talk to our London Physiotherapist or osteopath about our baby’s digestive disorders treatment, fell free to contact us.
At Excellence Physiotherapy London, we have a paediatric osteopath specialised on treatments for babies’ colic and we can either visit you at home in London or, if you prefer for your child to be seen at the practice, we offer sessions at the Light Centre practice Belgravia near Victoria station.
What is baby Colic?
Colic usually appears in newborn babies from week two or three and up to six months old. It is very common and it appears in three out of ten babies. It is identified as the frequent crying in a baby who appears to be otherwise healthy and well fed. It might appear that the baby is crying for no reason, but the underlying cause may be digestive problems such as indigestion, trapped wind or a temporary sensitivity to the milk he/she has been fed (applies to both breast milk and formula milk). Colic appears because the baby’s digestive system isn’t fully mature yet, after having been fed through the umbilical cord in the womb, and needs to develop further.
The main symptoms of baby colic are
- Intense and inconsolable crying
- Higher pitched crying than normal
- A bloated, hard tummy full of gas
- A tummy that appears to rumble
- Pulling the legs up to the tummy when crying
- Crying occurs mostly after eating and in the evening
- Crying can go on for hours, until the baby falls asleep
How to smooth baby colic?
Parents find it hard to deal with baby colic and what seems to be inconsolable crying. It can be very tiring, but also upsetting, as parents think the baby is in pain, but they feel helpless, as normal settling techniques don’t work. Thankfully there are a few different things that you can do to soothe your baby.
- Feed the baby on demand, whenever he/she seems hungry. Timing the feeds doesn’t always work and the baby might just be hungry sooner than expected.
- Make sure the baby isn’t swallowing any air during the feeds, if feeding from a bottle. In order to avoid that, make sure he/she is sitting as upright as possible.
- Make sure the baby burps after every feed. Do that by gently rubbing or patting their back when they are placed over your shoulder, sitting in your lap or laying in your lap facing down.
- Massage the baby’s tummy to help move trapped wind. This will also work as a bonding experience and make the baby feel looked after and loved.
It is best to seek professional advice before you administer a tummy massage yourself, so you know the right technique for effective relief.
Article by James Turgis, chartered physiotherapist
We are covered by most health insurances and are Bupa recognised and axa ppp recognised
For appointment with our London physiotherapist or London osteopath call : 0207 125 0262 – 07824 553765
If you want to receive news and offers from us